Saturday, February 28, 2009

Conditioner

After 20 years of marriage, today I finally understood why one would use conditioner on their hair-it makes getting the tangles so much easier to get out!

The last time I needed to use shampoo, part 2, was back in college when my sister would give me a permanent and add the curls to give some style to my mop

My JMU ID card reminds me of those years past

My mop is back and the conditioner really helped today

I will never again question the money we spend on hair products...well, maybe

When friends see me and the long(er) hair two reactions seem to follow

The first is non verbal and basically carries with it the "what is up/what is wrong with you?" sense.

Maybe I should use the words "friends" more carefully

The other reaction is a bit of surprise but the "hey, what's the story?" feeling

These are my friends

They want to know the story

Ask more, judge less

To quell your curiosity, it might be interesting to know I do not like long hair

It is a royal pain every morning
Every night
During the day

This long hair is forcing me to remember every day a few things that are very important to me right now-and it forces them to be part of my daily life discussions

That is why I have trimmed my hair only once in the last 6 months

To remember-the spiritual oppression of those families we love in Sudan
To remember-my buddy who will be sitting in prison the next 10 years
To remember-to engage fully in the world God has placed me, to have courage, to listen to Him, to remember Him

It may sound stupid, but I need ways to remember these things daily

Maybe you do too?

FYI-I have always known why others use conditioner

No comments: