Sunday, February 22, 2009

One Speed Bike

A couple days ago I forked over $45 for a used beach cruiser bicycle to get back and forth to the library where I study

With only one car, and a limited budget, $50 was max spending. I put the last $5 toward some handle grips. I am still trying to wedge them on the bike

Yesterday was the maiden voyage. I rode to the library one mile, two more to the beach and another two back to the condo. If you are quick, that totals five. Guess I am getting in shape also

If you’ve ever had a beach cruiser, you are glad to be in flat area. With no gears, and only one speed, you pretty much are forced to go at a leisurely pace. Slow might be the best word to describe the pace

It’s interesting to go slow

Most of my life the last 20+ years have been in the fast lane

Going 100 MPH it seems

Yesterday, I noticed

A lot

I said hello to people at the bus stop, many of whom looked pretty hurting.

I noticed the smell of cars, even though this sense of mine rarely seems to work

I saw all these little shops for varieties of food and services

I stopped at the top of a drawbridge and just looked at the water and the boats for a while. I was able to breath in the moment

I stopped at a little cigar shop and watched a guy roll a few. Pretty cool

This simple one speed bike

Taking me on a different pace

One I remember from a distant time

In touch

Aware

I am downshifting even without gears

1 comment:

Joseph Ring said...

Hey Peter,

It sounds like you are learning a lot of cool things. Like that life is so much more than running the insane pace of the "real world" where you notice nothing and no one except when they get in your way. I heard a pastor say one day that he could be financially independent in 30 days or less. Sell the house, sell the cars, get rid of the stuff that straps us in place and let God take the wheel. I always remember that when I start to think that more whatever is better. I am sure that it is a hard thing to do what you are doing but in many ways very enviable.

I'd love to hear more about the situtations, sights, sounds, and smells from the one speed bike.

All the best Bro!

Joe